Christmas is almost upon us and we all know what will happen. There will be insane amounts of food and drink. So I say - “Enjoy it completely and utterly”. Have a great time! Don’t feel guilty at all because I am arming you with the information you need to deal with any weight gain caused by a Christmas binge. Here are ‘10 AMAZING FOODS that devour body fat’.
- Olive oil. We need fat in order to stay slim. Crazy, huh? Fat controls your hunger levels. Pick the monounsaturated fats such as olive or canola oil NOT hydrogenated vegetable oils (which are packed with trans fats).
- Green tea. Rich in anti-oxidants it speeds up your metabolism. This is due to the presence of EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) which stimulates your brain and nervous system resulting in a higher calorie burn. According to Swiss researchers tea drinkers burnt 266 more calories than non tea drinkers.
- Dairy food. Dairy has large amounts of calcium which helps to break down fat and increases your metabolism. Pick low fat milk (skimmed if you can bear it). Also Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese is high in calcium and low in calories. It stimulates the body’s fat-burning hormones and the protein keeps you full for longer. It also tastes really good! No more than 1 ounce.
- Nuts. They keep you feeling full for longer. Just 24 almonds a day will sate hunger pangs. Avoid salted nuts like the plague. The excess salt will raise your blood pressure. Peanut butter is your hunger ally. It is packed with niacin which prevents belly bloating. Just don’t eat too much. One teaspoon keeps me full for an hour! Try to eat a brand without added sugar if possible.
- Oatmeal. This stuff is amazing! Oatmeal is rich with soluble fiber, which helps reduce your cholesterol and lowers your risk of heart disease. It is also high in selenium which gives you energy and boosts your immune system by producing antibodies. If that wasn’t enough it also stays in your stomach longer meaning you are less likely to snack since hunger is caused by a dip in your blood sugar. Eat oatmeal plain (although adding berries is ok). Say NO to sugary versions of oatmeal!
- Eggs. They have Vitamin B12 in them. Your body needs this to metabolize fat. If you have high cholesterol, seek your doctor’s advice before adding eggs to your diet.
- Beans. These are packed with protein and fiber. They are also low calorie. Avoid re-fried beans (filled with too much saturated fat) and instead try pinto or black beans.
- Avocados. Filled with heart friendly monounsaturated fats and packed to the skins with fiber (11-17 grams per avocado), they will keep you feeling full for longer so you are less likely to snack. Half a cup daily is enough.
- Green vegetables. Loaded with vitamins and minerals they are also high in fiber and low in calories. Avoid iceberg lettuce which has no fiber and opt for arugula, spinach or romaine. Broccoli is wonderfully healthy and contains folic acid, calcium, Vitamin C, fiber and Vitamin A. It’s the Vitamin C, calcium and the fiber which increase your metabolism and burn fat.
- Lean meat/fish. It’s harder for your body to digest protein than carbs or fat. So you’ll burn calories just digesting it! Salmon is particularly great for you. It is filled with protein and Omega 3s which also boost metabolism and burn fat. Turkey is packed with protein and has a higher caloric burn than chicken. Lean beef has reduced amounts of saturated fat and like turkey has a high protein content.
Have a very Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year!